Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 24 23:42:28 UTC 2011

On 1/24/11 11:04 AM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>   well... you are correct - he did say shorter.  me - i'd hollar for my good
> friends Fred and Radia (helped w/ the old vitalink mess) on the best way to
> manage an arp storm and/or cam table of  a /64 of MAC addresses. :)  It was
> hard enough to manage a "lan"/single broadcast domain that was global in scope
> and had 300,000 devices on it.
>
> "route when you can, bridge when you must"
Bill,

It seems efforts related to IP address specific policies are likely
doomed by the sheer size of the address space, and to be pedantic, ARP
has been replaced with multicast neighbor discovery which dramatically
reduces the overall traffic involved.  Secondly, doesn't Secure Neighbor
Discovery implemented at layer 2 fully mitigate these issues?  I too
would be interested in hearing from Radia and Fred.

-Doug