how statefull firewall works for udp?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Jan 21 19:40:33 UTC 2011

These protocols have their own headers, as well as the IP header that
the firewall can use to maintain state. The difference between them and
TCP is that these protocols are connectionless. Thus, the firewall does
not know when the connection has closed. The typical solution to this is
to have an arbitrary (often user configurable) timer that allows the
firewall to remove old connections from the firewall's state table. A
similar process also occurs with TCP, albeit with a much longer timeout,
because of the possibility of connections not being closed correctly.

--Blake