Software DNS hghi availability and load balancer solution [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue Jan 18 21:43:55 CST 2011

    0n Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 02:42:57PM -0500, david raistrick wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Rhys Rhaven wrote:
    >
    >> Having hit these issues myself, I heavily recommend a real frontend
    >> proxy like nginx or varnish.
    >
    >A frontend proxy (nginx, varnish, haproxy, or anything else) doesnt give
    >you HA any more than any other loadbalancer solution does.  You need a way
    >to send traffic to another frontend server when the primary frontend
    >server fails, or is overloaded, transparently.

freebsd + varnish + carp (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/carp.html)

  -Alex

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.