Software DNS hghi availability and load balancer solution

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Tue Jan 18 19:37:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, William Herrin wrote:

> Net result is that in some cases a user's long-running browser will
> indefinitely ignore the change you made to the DNS. I've seen such
> things persist for months.

Do you have any recent evidence to support this?  The
what-browsers-do-with-what world changes daily... and my understanding
is that a lot of these things that used to be problems have been changed.

> For better or for worse, the way you -reliably- fail over a web server
> is with routing and middleboxes like a load balancer.

Alas, sometimes that's just not possible - try doing that @ EC2, for
example (which is why I've recently been on the hunt for GSLB solutions
that don't involve appliances...).

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html