Request Spamhaus contact

Ken Gilmour ken.gilmour at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:46:53 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 10:00, Michael Painter <tvhawaii at shaka.com> wrote:

>> http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=AS:32421

I'm completely neutral in all of this but to be fair to BL - Here's the well
respected Level3's results:
http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=AS:3356
(who
also actually provide bandwidth for google) 231 malicious
sites, 14 infection intermediaries and has hosted 29 sites that have
infected 111 other sites. Then we have Global Crossing
http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=AS:3549.
Should we all stop using these ISPs because they have hosted some bad guys?
Obviously they know about them because google has the information. Does this
mean they don't have proper monitoring or control of their network? (FTR
those are rhetorical questions)

I used to work for a company that had some mailing lists that users
explicitly and knowingly signed up for, and lazy people used to click the
"Spam" button on AOL and other providers - either because it was right
beside "delete" or because they were too lazy to click the unsubscribe link.
As a result, Level 3 used to forward on the automated spam compaints to our
abuse department and we would usually act on them by unsubscribing the
person ourselves (although they usually tried to munge most of the
complainants identifiable credentials from the forwarded emails). They were
very responsive and demanded "respect" (in the sense that they don't like
spammers), yet they are hosting hundreds of malicious sites. Had they shut
us down due to a few spam complaints (which were never actually unsolicited)
I have no doubt they would be immediately encountering severe legal action.

Black Lotus are pretty much in the same boat but are in a bit of a worse
situation since people rely on them for "protection" so they are more
exposed to the transparency limelight. They provide clean pipe bandwidth for
some sites but might not always know what is on those sites.

Regards,

Ken