Single AS Number for multiple prefixes in different country

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Jan 14 10:06:55 UTC 2011

On Jan 14, 2011, at 4:58 AM, Harris Hui wrote:

> We have an AS Number AS2XXXX and have 2 /24 subnets belongs to this AS
> Number. It is using in US and peering with US Service Providers now.
>
> We are going to deploy another site in Asia, can we use the same AS Number
> AS2XXXX and have 2 other /24 subnets and peering with other Asia Service
> Providers?
>
> Will it affect the routing or BGP Path of our existing subnets in US?

It will not.  There was a thread on this a short while ago, check the archives.

The big question is whether the two sites will be able to talk to each other.  There are ways to make that happen, but by default, a router in asXXXX will not accept eBGP announcements which include asXXXX (loop detection).

--
TTFN,
patrick