Is Cisco equpiment de facto for you?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 13 20:58:49 UTC 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Jack Bates wrote:

> On 1/13/2011 1:48 PM, Michael Ruiz wrote:
>> Yeah another thing I love about the JUNOS is the rollback command.  Whew
>> I can tell you a few times where that has saved my bacon a few times and
>> the commit and check command.:-)
>
> Cisco IOS has a similar feature.
>
> reload in 5
> make changes
> verify things are working
> reload cancel
>
> It's a little different on a redundant processor system, as you have to reload both processors. It's also a 2-20 minute outage while you reload, but it does beat 2 hour drives.
>

> Jack

Not at all the same... With JunOS, I can have the changes I made running for days, but, when some problem is later discovered I can still rollback to the previous (or several revisions back). I can easily compare the current config to several previous revisions, etc.

Additionally, with JunOS I can make all my changes, verify them syntactically, compare the changes made to the previous configuration all without having the changes take effect during the process. Then, when I'm satisfied I have it right, I commit the configuration. If you've ever had to play the IOS ACL rotation game, you know how wonderful this feature is.

Cisco's half-hearted attempt to play catch-up here is woefully inadequate.

Owen