Is Cisco equpiment de facto for you?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Jan 13 19:41:04 UTC 2011

On 1/13/2011 1:35 PM, Michael Ruiz wrote:
> For example a M-series is always going to cost some
> bucks after you factor the FPC and the PICS that need to be loaded.

I find this usually has to do with the fact that there is no "backup to
software processing" on a Juniper. Every feature it supports, it does so
in hardware. If the hardware won't do it, then JUNOS won't do it.

The exception has been the multiservices PIC, which is being obsoleted
with the trio chipset.

You are right, though. If you don't need the performance, you can settle
for a cisco in many cases. Also, the MX Juniper line often has nicer
performance than the M series if you do more ethernet than sonet.

Jack