World IPv6 Day

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jan 12 21:23:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:10:03 -0800
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > the first global-scale trial of IPv6, the long-anticipated upgrade to
> > the Internet's main communications protocol known as IPv4.
>
> this phrasing is both amusing and deeply sad.  amusing because many folk
> have been running ipv6 globaly for over a decade.  deeply sad because
> this is taken to be shiny and new as we approach the end of the iana
> ipv4 free pool.  what have people been smoking?

IPv4.

Every now and then it is worth remembering that IPv4 was a protocol
that was designed for a small experimental network that managed to
escape into production. How long it has been usable is actually quite
remarkable, and has only been achieved through a series of neat hacks
like classes, subnets and CIDR.

Regards,
Mark.