co-location and access to your server

todd glassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 20:56:50 UTC 2011

On 1/12/2011 12:28 PM, Matt Kelly wrote:
> When you are talking single or partial rack colo it is generally done as escorted only, due to security.  They can't have anyone coming in and poking around other customers hardware without being watched.  We do the same thing but we allow 24x7 escorted access.  Half and full racks get 24x7 access also but that is because they are individually locked.
>

> --
> Matt
>

> On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>
>> Cruzio in Santa Cruz recently opened a little co-location facility. That makes two of such facilities in Santa Cruz (the other being got.net), which could be a good thing for competition.
>>
>> Their 1U offer comes with limited access to your server, only from 10AM to 6 PM. I find that not acceptable. Why wait until 10 AM when a disk breaks at 8 PM? But maybe I am being too picky.
>>
>> What is considered normal with regards to access to your co-located server(s)? Especially when you're just co-locating one or a few servers.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeroen
>>
>> --
>> http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
>> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

This is beginning to sound like the blind leading the blind & this
commentary is too funny.

If you outsource your IT facilities to a ISP and you do not plan for
redundancy then the failure is YOURS and not the ISP's limited access
policy.  The ISP's limited access policy has to do with their overhead
models and that's all there is to that.

Sorry to bring daylight into this but it is what it is... YOU MUST plan
for redundancy.

Todd Glassey - as a GOT.NET Client