Cisco Sanitization

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jan 12 15:00:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Lynda wrote:

> On 1/12/2011 8:04 AM, Greg Whynott wrote:
>
>>  list,  sorry for this but this is getting a little annoying.  I've
>>  tried sending Randy email without luck.. think i'm black listed by
>>  his kit,  so if someone would kindly forward this to him…
>
> Well, here it is. Perhaps you might consider getting a gmail or other
> account, and posting on NANOG from there. Either that, or filter Randy out.
> Personally, I find those silly disclaimers annoying, but am far too lazy to
> set up a script such as Randy has.
>
> You don't want to be annoyed? Lose the disclaimer, use a different email
> address, or filter Randy out. This is NOT the first time you've complained
> about this (although we know, for sure, that Randy is going to send this off,
> automagically, to anyone that has the silly disclaimer thing going for them).
> Get over it. Please don't post on this again. Thanks in advance.

While I agree that the disclaimers are annoying, I also recognize that:
1. Many companies have policies that require them to append those
disclaimers to every outgoing email message, and the people who post to
NANOG often don't have any control over that policy.  Debating on
this list whether those policies are right or wrong really isn't
constructive.
2. Some companies have very strict policies against unauthorized surfing
on company time, and checking a gmail account could fall under their
definition of unauthorized surfing, even if the purpose of checking said
gmail account is to try to resolve a work issue without offending
someone's procmail filters with your company's auto-disclaimer.  Debating
on this list whether those policies are right or wrong really isn't
constructive either.

That said, sending the "You sent me a message with a disclaimer that I
do not accept and have thrown in the bitbucket" response back to NANOG,
for the enjoyment of the other 10,000+ people on the list is even more
annoying....

This will be my only post to this particular tangent of the original
thread.

jms