Is Cisco equpiment de facto for you?

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Mon Jan 10 17:29:39 UTC 2011

the pro curve line is cheap and the standard support contract price can't be beat (life time free).   For many ' normal ' deployments it would be a good choice.    in a 10Gbit HPC  or highly redundant environment I'd probably be looking at Extreme or Force 10.

There is a feature on the Cisco 6500 series which is very appealing for those needing highly redundant / quick fail over,  VSS.   Currently you can only get it on 6500's or better,  so the cost of admission is huge,  and you have to have the physical space to mount the units.  Extreme has a similar feature which is available threw out most of the product line,  meaning you don't have to drop 6 figures for a redundant zero time fail over solution and can fit it into as little as 2Us in the rack.   I recently set up a pair of Summit 650's using the virtual switch feature.  I have multiple 10Gbit clients terminated to the pair.  zero time fail over when a link goes down,  its nice.      This is what I find is the trend with features and Cisco,   Cisco sticks with what is known and a bit reluctant to throw a new feature into the mix,  where as a compeating vendor sees that as an opertunity.    Cisco is slow and steady,  where the other vendors tend to be lighter on their feet.   sometimes when you are quick on your feet,  you trip more often than the one walking slowly.

-g

--

This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this message may not be that of the organization.