Satellite IP

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Mon Jan 10 16:28:51 UTC 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> I'm looking into satellite-based 2-way IP transport, on the scale of
> SCPC DVB-RCS or iDirect, as an adjunct to the already installed
> "traditional" one-way satellite gear installed in the Frontline DSNG
> truck owned by my new employer, both for MPEG streaming for broadcast,
> and possibly for emergency-response support, if I can sell that idea.
>
> Has anyone on NANOG any personal experience with that, from either end?

I have some experience with what you are asking.  While not from the DSNG side, I have experience with satellite based IP using iDirect Infinity shared satellite hubs.  The 5000- and 7000-series Infinity remotes will support SCPC between two remotes if you wish, but it's all IP based.

Getting into the emergency response arena would require an IP based network.  I have done this with the City of Chicago for several communications trucks that my former employer built and maintains for them.  They send and receive live video, VoIP, and enterprise network data across the satellite.  They have a dedicated space segment that they buy annually so they don't run into the issue of not having satellite connectivity available when they really need it.  Trying to sell this together to your employer possibly means a merging of your two disparate capabilities.  Can you move your MPEG streams over IP?

> Almost all of what I'll need to do will be what the satellite guys call
> "occasional use", ie: "I need a six hour block Thursday night, starting
> at 7pm", as opposed to the "monthly service with an FAP" that most
> people seem to sell.  LBiSat is one company that understands occasional,
> I'm wondering if there are others (and if their IP jocks hang out here).

Intelsat operates several iDirect hubs available for public use which are tied to the Internet.  They should be able to help you with your occasional use needs.  If you need a contact, I can try to dig one up for you.

Ryan Wilkins