AltDB? (IRR support & direction at ARIN)

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Mon Jan 10 04:00:18 UTC 2011

On 01/09/2011 03:41 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>>>   Do you: 1) want IRR services, and if so, with what features?
>>>           2) believe IRR services should be provided by ARIN?
>>

> I am simply suggesting it is dangerous and irresponsible to run an IRR
> with only MAIL-FROM authentication, and quite easy to also support
> CRYPT-PW.  ARIN should either support passwords or immediately make
> their IRR read-only and stop offering it as a service.  Imagine if
> there was a Slashdot article or something about this, how long would
> it take for some 14-year-old to erase the whole database, and how that
> would pretty much force ARIN to make a choice anyway, but also, create
> a lot of negative fall-out that might jeopardize trust in ARIN with
> regard to other operational matters, like RPKI.

So why hasn't this happened already? If it's so easy, then all the
normal actors that like to cause us late nights would have struck already.

And according to http://www.irr.net/docs/list.html there are lots of IRR
databases.

I had a vague concept of IRR before this thread, and have researched
them as a result of it. They seem quite useful. I didn't know anything
about RPKI before this thread. I'm looking into that now.

So I don't think ARIN should spend it's limited resources on anything to
do with it's copy of the IRR. In fact I'm not sure why they even operate
one. It seems to be the realm of service providers to do so.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why a RIR is operating an IRR database? It
doesn't make sense to me.

- --
Charles N Wyble (charles at knownelement.com)
Systems craftsman for the stars