AltDB? (IRR support & direction at ARIN)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jan 9 23:48:30 UTC 2011

>>>   Do you: 1) want IRR services, and if so, with what features?
>>>           2) believe IRR services should be provided by ARIN?
>>
>> the irr is slightly useful today.  so, iff it is cheap and easy, arin
>> providing an open and free instance is a public good.  again, iff it is
>> easy and cheap.  and please do not waste time trying to 'fix' the irr,
>> sad to say it's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
>
> I'm not suggesting that ARIN undertake a large and complex effort to
> solve a bunch of issues with IRR.

jeff, i do not disagree that running an irr instance with only mail-from
is soooo 1980s.  and, as mans points out, there is free software out
there to do it (i recommend irrd).  but i do not see good cause for arin
to spend anything non-trivial to fix a problem in an irr instance which
is not used very much.  i.e. better to drop it than to spend non-trivial
money to modernize it.

but more to the point, by 'fix' it, i did not mean modernizing the auth
method set.  i meant the content, syntax and semantics.

randy