AltDB? (IRR support & direction at ARIN)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jan 9 22:55:50 UTC 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>> Should IRR services be part of the ARIN mission?
>
> If that's a serious question, why does rr.arin.net exist at all?

Jon -

  Existence of not in and of itself proof that the services are
  presently desired by the community, nor that there are benefits
  in having them provided by ARIN.

  For example, one can argue that it is desirable for ARIN to
  provide IRR services in the case where allocation policy had
  dependencies into the state of the IRR; this is not the case
  in the ARIN region. Another reason for ARIN to offer services
  is if it can do so in a manner that would significantly improve
  their quality (one might argue such about resource certification
  via RPKI, but that's not as obvious for a routing registry)

  At the end of the day, we want ARIN to be providing quality
  services around the registration of Internet number resources;
  these services need to be valued by the community and provided
  cost-effectively.

  Do you: 1) want IRR services, and if so, with what features?
          2) believe IRR services should be provided by ARIN?

  Getting input from the community on this will significantly
  help the ARIN staff make informed recommendations to the
  ARIN Board regarding how to best proceed.  I'd also welcome
  private email with these thoughts if that's your preference.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO