AltDB?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jan 8 09:11:32 UTC 2011

Paul,

On Jan 7, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> the price of changing what ARIN does is, at a minimum: participation.

Another view is that ARIN's whole and sole reason for being is to provide services to the network operators in the ARIN region. As such, it would be ill-advised for ARIN to change those services without consulting the community that ARIN serves and getting their buy-in. Hopefully, there's a middle ground.

> i hear in what you're saying
> a desire to have a way to impact ARIN's behaviour outside of NRPM edits
> and perhaps ARIN does need to address this with some new online forum for
> things which aren't allocation policy but which should still be decided
> using community input.

Yep.  Not sure it should be an ARIN-operated thing (nor am I sure that it shouldn't be), but something a bit more focused on the operation of services ARIN provides than ppml might be helpful.

Regards,
-drc