IPv6 - real vs theoretical problems

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Jan 8 02:00:10 UTC 2011

On Jan 8, 2011, at 8:54 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> I presume you don't intend us to conclude that a bastion host firewall provides no security benefit to the equipment it
> protects.

If it's protecting workstations, yes, it has some positive security value - but not due to NAT.

If it's inappropriately placed in front of servers, where's there's no state to inspect and were the stateful nature of the device in and of itself forms a DoS vector, it has negative security value; i.e., it makes things far worse.

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid, with millions
of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but
just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.

			  -- Alan Kay