asymmetric routes/security concerns/Fortinet

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Fri Jan 7 20:13:02 UTC 2011

Thanks Ken,

Some good stuff there,  thanks.

Since my original email,  i think i've come up with a partial solution not requiring the far end's involvement.     If not,  at least it would get us into a better position to utilize the ORION network when possible.   We peer over a L2 tunnel with a router down in the states threw one of our ISP's 10G links,  I'm going to see if ORION will do the same with us.  This would allow us to establish a BGP session directly with the ORION router,  then I could use the localpref options, which may help.

this problem is intermitting,  most of the time things are fine.    doing the above isn't going to help if path/route conditions change,  but at least we'll have done all we could within reason and have a proper config.

I didn't consider the reasons you mentioned related to 'fail fast', that does make a lot of sense.   this is not the reason they claim this policy is in place,  it is for security reasons.

we access ORION via GTAnet,  they are within/part of/something to do with the UoT,  and we are across the street.

take care,
greg

@Anthony Pardini <tony at pardini.org>
On Jan 7, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Anthony Pardini wrote:

>   Firewalls aren't routers and pretty much all of them
> behave in the similar manner.

oh!  thanks.  8)

--

This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this message may not be that of the organization.