Problems with removing NAT from a network

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 7 09:02:50 UTC 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> On 1/6/2011 9:28 PM, Dan Wing wrote:
>>>
>>> Skype could make it work with direct UDP packets in about 92% of
>>> cases, per Google's published direct-to-direct statistic at
>>> http://code.google.com/apis/talk/libjingle/important_concepts.html
>>>
>> If one end is behind a NAT64 and there is no mechanism for discovering the NAT64's IPv6 interface prefix and mapping algorithm (and at present there is not), there is no way to send IPv6 IP packets from the IPv6-only host to IPv4 literal addresses (that is to say, addresses learned via a mechanism other than DNS responses synthesized by the DNS64 part of the NAT64 "solution") on the IPv4 Internet through said NAT64.
>>
>> That's the case we're discussing here.
>>
>> It breaks Skype, Adobe's RTMFP, BitTorrent, ICE-based NAT traversal, etc. Even the protocol described in the referenced document, Jingle (as it essentially uses ICE) fails. The candidate IPv4 addresses for the end that's on the IPv4 Internet (local and STUN-derived) that are delivered over Jingle's XMPP path cannot be used by the host that is on IPv6 + NAT64 to reach the IPv4 Internet because it has no IPv4 sockets available to it and even if it knew that NAT64 existed (which would take a modification to the Jingle-based apps) and opened an IPv6 socket it wouldn't know what IPv6 address to use to reach the IPv4 host because there's no discovery mechanism. If you want we can take this back to the BEHAVE list now.
>
> To paraphrase what you're saying: stuff that embeds and passes around IPv4 addresses will break.  I'm sorry to say this, but that's just reality.  Embedded IP addresses has always been a Bad Idea (tm) in development and operations, and I don't think P2P protocols get a pass - building your own discovery and topology mechanisms don't insulate you from having to use the underlying network.

No, it hasn't always been a Bad Idea. It has been an idea fraught with peril since the deployment of overloaded NAT in IPv4.

Fortunately, overloaded NAT will hopefully be a thing of the past in IPv6 and we may get a chance to return to a more functional
end-to-end model of networking again.

> The best chance anybody has, is to build dual-stack support and start using DNS names rather than IP numbers.  Oh, and expect IPv4 to start breaking in the near future.  We're trying to make IPv4 work long enough to survive the transition, but it's not a good bet for new protocols.

On this, at least we agree.

Owen