Problems with removing NAT from a network

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 7 02:30:36 UTC 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:48 12PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Doesn't all of this become moot if Skype just develops a dual-stack capable client
> and servers?

Skype is an interesting case because of its peer-to-peer nature.  Given the
state of v6 deployment and operational experience[1], and especially given the
fragility of tunneled IPv6 connections[2], there is potential for a lot of
broken links.

[1] All concerned are mystified about why my office machines can't reach [major
site] via v6, even though traceroute6 from both ends shows the packets reaching
the same network.  A couple of weeks earlier, I couldn't get anywhere via IPv6
because someone had connected a NAT+v6 tunneler in bridge mode, and my machine
believe its RA messages.

[2] See http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/faq.html#tunnel