NIST IPv6 document

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Jan 6 15:19:10 UTC 2011

On 1/6/2011 12:26 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
> A bunch of very smart people have worked on IPv6 for a very long
> time, and justification for /64's was hashed out at extended length
> over the period of years.

NDP should have been better designed. It still has the same problems we
had with ARP except the address pool has magnified it.

Routers should have 1) better methods for keeping ND tables low (and
maintaining only valid entries) or 2) better methods for learning valid
entries than unsolicited NDP requests.

This isn't to say the protocol itself is a waste, but it should have
taken in the concerns and developed the mitigation controls necessary as
recommendations to the implementers.

Jack