ARIN and the RPKI (was Re: AltDB?)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 04:23:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> We need at least these things to exist:
>>   o an accurate mapping of resource (netblock/asn) to
>>     authorized-entity (RIR/NIR/LIR/Customer/...)
>>   o a system to manage this data for our routing equipment
>
> see all the sidr documents in last call to go from i-ds to rfcs.  oh,
> you co-chair sidr :)

yes, sorry I should have been more open ... i do co-chair (with sandy
murphy) the sidr-wg at the IETF.

>>   o protocol enhancements that can be used to help propagate the
>>     mapping information or at the least help a router programmaticly
>>     understand if a resource is being used by the authorized entity
>
> see draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-07
>
>>   o routing software that can digest the enhanced data
>
> in test.  rumors of going normal release from at least one vendor in q2
>
>>   o routing hardware that won't crumple under the weight of (what
>>     seems like) heavier weight routing protocol requirements
>
> actually, the formal rpki-based origin-validation stuff is measured to
> take *less* cpu, a lot less, than ACLs

CPU + RAM both parts of the vector matter. (but you knew this)
Some of the interesting data would, I think, be good for ops folks to
see more openly, things that may actually affect their purchasing and
design decisions even! Danny's had some good presentation material
about changes in spec/implementations that have altered drastically
the update load on devices in actual networks.

>> There is, of course, some risk with this model and we should take the
>> time to accept/discuss that as well.
>
> some guidance toward ameliorating the risks are in
> <draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-origin-ops-00.txt>.
>
> input from ops into all this stuff would be most welcome.

yes (as the co-chair)
yes (as the OP... more input/thought/discussion)

and looking at the:
  <https://www.arin.net/about_us/bot/index.html>
it looks like the BoT is due to have a meeting either this week or
next? (they seem to always have one in the first week or two of the
year?) so again speak up here AND perhaps send a note the BoT or your
ARIN Rep's way "now".

-Chris