Clearwire/Clear for branch office connectivity?

Mike Sawicki fifi at hax.Org
Thu Jan 6 00:28:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 04:15:43PM -0600, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
> Is anyone using Clearwire/Clear's wireless broadband offering for stationary
> branch offices/remote equipment monitoring? Looking for results/experiences
> off-list. We're looking at it for industrial telemetry, and have spoken to
> people using ATT and VZW who are doing the same, but we wanted to look at
> Clear as well. Curious as to reliability, link performance, and support
> quality.

I replaced a 3mbps/768kbps ADSL provisioned through Qwest with Clearwire's
home offering.  I've been mostly satisfied from a cost/performance
standpoint - for $55/mo I get a mostly equal replacement for the DSL
as well as service for a second usb dongle for my laptop.    I've had to
go through an uncomfortable process with their support people on two
occasions when their service was booting me off every 3-10 mins.  Turns out
somehow my home address changed in their system and they decided to treat
my home modem as a traveling modem.  As others have stated they seemed aloof
and lacked access to more than a script and basic tools for troubleshooting.

Service has been mostly reliable for me in the Seattle area.  Transfer
rates are sufficient.

-m