The tale of a single MAC

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Jan 3 04:31:57 UTC 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Lynda wrote:

> My guess is that you'll never find it on Google, since it happened around 1993-4 or so.

I remember that there were several high-profile instances of duplicate MAC addresses being burnt into NICs during the 1990s - once every 2-3 years, IIRC.  And those were just the ones that were discussed publicly.

Not to mention the old ARCNet NICs, which all came set to the same ARCNet address by default (one changed the address assignment via DIP switches on the cards themselves).

;>

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid, with millions
of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but
just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.

			  -- Alan Kay