Hughesnet outage - where can I ask?

Greg Ihnen os10rules at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 21:57:31 UTC 2011

I run a small network in the jungle of Venezuela which is fed by a rebranded Hughesnet connection. We just had a four day failure where the only protocol that worked was ICMP and we were completely without communication. Traceroutes all failed in a bizarre way when using UDP, TCP or GRE packets but traceroute with ICMP worked fine. Our provider (Bantel) is blaming Hughesnet but I'm not finding anything to back that up in forums or in searching the web. I don't want to bother this forum's members with my questions regarding what the traceroute results show and what the problem might be. Is there another forum where these questions would be appropriate? Thanks in advance.

Greg