Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Mon Feb 28 20:39:10 UTC 2011

On 2/27/2011 11:53 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
> No, when I first played with IPv6 only network, I found out that RD was silly, it gives an IP adddress but no DNS, and you have to rely on IPv4 to do that. silly, so my understanding is then people saw the mistake, and added some DNS resolution... Because the only option was to get DHCPv6 to get the DNS, but then why create RD in the first place?

Well, for the malware authors, it really is an awful lot of trouble to go broadcasting
gratuitous ARPs claiming to be the default gateway, and then blasting those spoofed
gratuitous ARPs at the gateway claiming to be the clients, and having to do all that
packet-forwarding foo just to get to be the man-in-the-middle...  when you can just
generate an RA and you don't even have to set the evil bit!!

And why bother with all those silly DNS-changer malware pointing the resolvers off to
Inhoster-land so you can provide your own interesting answers for interesting names
you'd like to phish, when you can just sit there and listen on the DNS anycast address
and answer the ones you want!!

And why bother parsing out the Facebook friends or AOL buddies or MSN contacts list to
spew out those phishing URLs to everybody we know, when we can just sit back and let
Bonjour/Rendezvous/iChat do all the work for us?

Plug and Play malware is the future :-)

Jeff