What vexes VoIP users?

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Mon Feb 28 18:48:51 UTC 2011

On 28 Feb 2011, at 18:37, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:29:08 EST, Bret Clark said:
>> On 02/28/2011 01:17 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
>>> VoIP at the last mile is just too niche at the moment. It's for people on this list, not my mother.
>
>> Baloney...if that was the case, then all these ILEC's wouldn't be
>> whining about POT's lines decreasing exponentially year over year!
>
> I do believe that the ILEC's are mostly losing POTS lines to cell phones, not
> to VoIP. I myself have a cell phone but no POTS service at my home address.  On
> the other hand, I *am* seeing a metric ton of Vonage and Magic Jack ads on TV
> these days - if VoIP is "too niche", how are those two making any money?

I do not live over there, I have never seen a Vonage or Magic jack or any other VoIP service ad on TV in the UK, ever.

It is quite a different market here. I can get POTS services over the same copper from, I'd say, about 5 different companies. Maybe more, I have not counted. I guess the competition already available on the copper would largely preclude anything but the cheapest VoIP service.

--
Leigh