Sunday Funnies: Using a smart phone as a diagnostic tool

Joshua William Klubi joshua.klubi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 07:10:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Do you have a smartphone?  Blackberry?  iPhone?  Android?

Try a Nokia N900 Maemo device,
Brief History it is a pet project of Nokia, it is 100% Linux (Debian Based),
you don't need to hack it or do anything or install any apps on it,
full Linux ie,
ssh, lamp stack , name it,  you  can get it for about $300
this a full fledge site for it http://maemo.org/

> Do you use it as a technical tool in your work, either for accessing
> devices or testing connectivity -- or something else?

yes if ur a real IT person and your very well versed in terms
of knowledge and you use
gadgets then you should know it is a swiss knife among all mobile devices.

> If so, what kind of phone, and what (if you don't mind letting on) are
> your magic apps for this sort of work?
>
> Android, BB, iOS are cool OS but compared to a real Linux OS stack (Debian)
you can easily compare the difference, with N900 you don't need all those
APP markets
you have all the apps develop for Linux at your disposal, just use apt-get
and then ur done.

> (My motivation?  Well, um, Lee, I'm looking at buying an HTC Thunderbolt,
> if everyone can get their thumbs out, and I want to get a feeling for
> the lanscape, if you'll pardon the pun. :-)
>
> HTC thunderbolt is not a bad looking phone. one most important thing about
all the mobile
phone devices out there it is only Nokia that support full networking stack
of IPV6 on it
no hacking needed to get it running.