Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Feb 27 05:46:17 UTC 2011

On 2/26/11 9:27 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

>>> what is it about ipv6 which attracts religious nuts?
>>
>> you sure it's not macos (says joel from a v6 enabled mac).
>
> On a more serious note, I can on my Ubuntu machine just "apt-get install
> wide-dhcpv6-client" and I get dhcpv6, it'll properly put stuff in
> resolv.conf for dns-over-ipv6 transport, even though the connection
> manager knows nothing about it, at least dual stack works properly.
>
> Can one do the equivalent easy addition to OSX?

You can, the actual integration issue is that network mangler (on
ubuntu/fedora etal) and the osX airport connection manager will give up
on a subnet on which they can't obtain an ipv4 address in prefernce to
one where they can... this can also be worked around but it makes
v6-only operation (Assuming that were desired, or even a good idea at
this point) something that the majority of the users wouldn't be able to
achive without the default behavior changing.