[arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 21 08:48:30 UTC 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Zed Usser <zzuser at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Basic Internet services will work (web browsing, email, Facebook, Youtube,...), but:

Actually, many facebook and youtube features will also be degraded.

>> - Less torrenting
>> - Less Netflix watching
>> - Less FTP downloads
>> - Less video streaming in general (webcams, etc.)
>> You might take a hit on online gaming, but what else is there not to love? :)

You're joking, right? I don't think that most customers are going to take kindly
to having their internet experience on their computer(s) reduced to what they
expect from their cell phone.

>> Your sales department / helpdesk might have a bit of hassle of trying to undestand / explain this new Intertubes to the suck^H^H^H^Hcustomers, but most of them won't care either way.
>
> Until some competitor who's  not using NAT444 comes along  and
> advertises that those functions work properly, maybe.
> Only for very liberal definitions of the phrase "won't care either way"
>
> Tolerate != won't care
> Most of them !=  People who won't eventually tell their friends  or
> tweet about their frustrations

Nah... Just make sure tweeting is one of the things you break along
with the rest of the itner-tubes. (joking, of course).

> For those who are connecting to watch Netflix, it is only marginally
> less annoying for the user than
> removing the "always on" feature of DSL, requiring customers to
> manually click an icon to dial in,
> and get a busy tone played  / "All dialin 'lines are busy'" / "Please
> use IPv6 while you wait,
> wait 10 minutes and try dialing in again",  if there are no global
> IPv4 IPs available at the moment
> they are trying to connect.

As long as you give them IPv6, their Netflix and Youtube will work.

> Some might even strongly prefer that  (time limited access  and pay
> per connected hour)
> for periods of access to proper unique IPs over NAT444  brokenness;

You guys are making me very very glad that I:
	1.	Do not depend on my provider for IPv4 addresses.
	2.	Have a fully dual-stack environment at home.
	3.	Do not depend on my residential provider to deliver
		anything more than the ability to shove GRE across
		the internet encapsulated in whatever protocol (v4/v6)
		works at the time.

> possibly with a customer choice between NAT444 and  "time metered
> dynamic unique IP" and reasonably
> automatic simple means of switching between IP types on demand.

I encourage my competitors to try this.

Owen