Internet Exchange Point(IXP) questions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 18 21:44:56 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 04:36:28PM -0500, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> leaking the IX prefix to customers, to me, seems like a recipe for
> much wider/unintended leakage :(

Oh, it is.  I remember when MAE-EAST was injected by at least 50 people
into the DFZ because back then people weren't careful enough to just
send such things to customers.

AMS-IX (and others) have the better solution.  They have AS1200,
announce the exchange LAN from AS1200 (195.69.144.0/22).  They will
peer with you if you are at the exchange, see
http://www.ams-ix.net/as1200-peering/.  I believe, but can't find
a reference really quick that they get transit for it from a couple
of providers so those that don't peer still have the route.

I mean really, you have a block.  If your IXP matters it's already
taking up space in all of the largest ISP's tables anyway, so there's no
"saving a route argument".  Get an ASN, which since your multi-homed is
trivial, announce the block from there and peer with your exchange
participants.  Everyone is happy, the route is consistent, and life is
good.