IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Feb 18 12:59:03 UTC 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 18 feb 2011, at 12:00, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>
>>> How can they "return" stuff to ARIN that they got from IANA in the first place?
>
>>> ARIN seems to be getting the very long end of the legacy stick.
>
>> But last time I checked, the United States is in the ARIN region.  And ARIN did not exist when the US DoD got its space.  (In fact, I do believe the reason "IP space" exists is because the DoD paid someone to come up with the idea? :)
>
> True, but how is all of that relevant?

The first seems relevant because it was not possible for the US DoD to get space from ARIN.  It's not like they chose to go around ARIN.

The second seems relevant because ARIN is the successor, created by the IANA (Dr. Postel himself) specifically to take over the duties of address management in the geographic region where the DoD exists.

When someone comes up with an idea (or pays someone to come up with an idea), they tend to get to use that idea before others.  If you honestly cannot fathom why that is relevant, then I am not going to attempt to explain it to you.

Now that I've answered your question, mind if I ask why you are asking?  Or do you just prefer to troll?

>> If the US DoD wants more space, it has to ask ARIN, right?  Are you suggesting it should deal with a different organization depending on which direction the IP addresses flow?
>
>> Supposed it was space ARIN assigned the DoD?
>
> Policies like giving each RIR one of the final five /8s were carefully created to give each RIR equal access to address space. Automatically giving legacy space to the RIR for the region that the holder of the legacy space is in is incompatible with that, and means that ARIN will get virtually all of it.

Then perhaps you should work through the process to change that?

> To me, it seems both natural and fair that legacy space (especially /8s) is returned to IANA and then redistributed over the RIRs.

It may seem that way to many.

Posting it to NANOG is not going to help you achieve what you deem to be fair & natural.

--
TTFN,
patrick