IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 17 14:20:30 UTC 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 11 feb 2011, at 17:51, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> We can't backport ULA into IPv4 private
>> addressing; there aren't enough addresses for the math to work. So we
>> either make such folks jump through all kinds of hoops to get their
>> networks to function, or we assign addresses that could otherwise be
>> used on the big-I Internet.
>
> Not that it matters because it's too late now and it would only give us a few more months, but:
>
> Does the US government really need more than 150 million addresses, of which about half are not publically routed? Non-publically routed addresses can be reused by others as long as the stuff both users connect to doesn't overlap.

The DoD does not seem particularly anxious to announce or explain their usage of those blocks
to the rest of the community.

They have much larger quantities of significantly more sophisticated armaments than ARIN.

I agree it would be nice if they would voluntarily return whatever is appropriate to the community, but,
as you say, there is little upside to them doing so anyway. Certainly not enough to make the risks
of attempting to obtain it through any means other than voluntary return feasible or even worthy
of consideration.

Owen