IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Feb 17 12:39:27 UTC 2011

On 11 feb 2011, at 17:51, William Herrin wrote:

> We can't backport ULA into IPv4 private
> addressing; there aren't enough addresses for the math to work. So we
> either make such folks jump through all kinds of hoops to get their
> networks to function, or we assign addresses that could otherwise be
> used on the big-I Internet.

Not that it matters because it's too late now and it would only give us a few more months, but:

Does the US government really need more than 150 million addresses, of which about half are not publically routed? Non-publically routed addresses can be reused by others as long as the stuff both users connect to doesn't overlap.