To the people who answer tech questions on this list

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 03:03:59 UTC 2011

This list serves a number of purposes and one of them is to answer
technical networking questions. But this list is also not the only
place that these types of questions are asked. For instance, LinkedIn
has a Q&A feature where people can ask and answer questions on a wide
range of topics. Just today I came across this BGP question:
http://www.linkedin.com/answers/technology/information-technology/computer-networking/TCH_ITS_CNW/792993-20766406

I would never suggest that LinkedIn could replace the NANOG mailing
list, but it is an interesting complement to it. There is a NANOG
group here: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=40718 and
a number of people are using LinkedIn for professional purposes. I
know many of you tried out Orkut and then migrated to Multiply.com and
found them lacking. But I would suggest that LinkedIn might be more
useful, in particular, to provide an entry level tier for questions.

A lot of NANOG members are rather intimidated to ask questions which
might seem too beginner and I think that the NANOG group on LinkedIn
might be a good place to encourage such questions in order to draw out
more discussion among NANOG members without boosting the mailing list
traffic.

What do you think?  (Probably best to answer this on the NANOG group over at...

--Michael Dillon
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=13566587