[arin-announce] IN-ADDR.ARPA Zone Transfer Complete

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Feb 16 23:05:16 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-16, at 17:33, Doug Barton wrote:

> This leads to 2 additional questions:
>
> 1. Is the zone available from those 2 locations "the same" as what's
> available on the authoritative servers, or is there a lag time between
> updates on the auth and the xfr servers?

The two servers mentioned transfer the zone from the same place as the *.in-addr-servers.arpa servers. They're a little closer than some of the other servers. I imagine some propagation lag between them would be visible with the right instrumentation. The speed of light is the speed of light.

> 2. Is there any objection to having those servers listed in publicly
> available documentation on how to configure resolvers to slave the root
> and related zones?

My personal opinion is that such advice is misguided, but we place no restrictions on the soundness of the reasons for transferring zones from those places :-)

Joe