Internet blocked in Algeria?

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sun Feb 13 02:27:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> Any confirmation of internet blocking?
>
> http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=26849
>
> As massive street demonstrations are met with widespread violence in
> Algeria, the country is reporting that many Facebook accounts have been
> deleted or blocked by the government, in an effort to stifle protests
> against President Abdelaziz Boutifleka, activists on Twitter reported
> around
> midday in the country.
> They also said that the government is working fast to cut off all Internet
> providers in the country.

I've had no reports, apart from unreliable third-hand sources (and only one
in Arabic). Most of them seeming to be just echoing a very vague report in
the UK's Daily Telegraph.

Also I'm sceptical of the combination of "Internet shut down" and "Facebook
pages deleted" in all of these reports. Those are two very different acts
and, while if you are worried about such things (Egypt did the former,
Tunisia did the latter), they aren't part of the some giant lever that a
government pulls.

I suspect people are just jittery in Algiers today.

d.