Internet blocked in Algeria?

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Sun Feb 13 02:26:20 UTC 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Jim Cowie wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM, mikea <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 05:01:12PM -0500, Joly MacFie wrote:
>>> Any confirmation of internet blocking?
>>>
>>> http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=26849
>>>
>>> As massive street demonstrations are met with widespread violence in
>>> Algeria, the country is reporting that many Facebook accounts have been
>>> deleted or blocked by the government, in an effort to stifle protests
>>> against President Abdelaziz Boutifleka, activists on Twitter reported around
>>> midday in the country.
>>> They also said that the government is working fast to cut off all Internet
>>> providers in the country.
>>
>> At least some websites, though not all of them, that are linked off
>> <http://www.erepublic.org/egovincountriesa/algeria.html>
>> seem to be working OK. I grant they're all government, but they're up
>> and serving requests.
>>

> Looks up to us, with the exception of a few websites.   Routes stable,
> inbound traceroutes unremarkable, lots and lots of DZ-hosted content
> available.
>
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/02/watching-algeria.shtml

I have received several reports of Twitter and Facebook outages in Algeria, but not general Internet blockage.

The Telegraph has this report

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/algeria/8320772/Algeria-shuts-down-internet-and-Facebook-as-protest-mounts.html>
or
http://bit.ly/f97OmX

which talks vaguely of Internet outages.

On the other side of both the coin and the world, there is this

http://knightcenter.utexas.edu/blog/bloggers-celebrate-cuba-unblocks-their-sites

"Bloggers celebrate as Cuba unblocks their site"

Maybe this is connected to the new fiber optic cable to Venezuela, it seems to have caught everyone by surprise.

Regards
Marshall