Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Adam Atkinson ghira at mistral.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 09:02:32 UTC 2011

George Bonser wrote:

> I have yet to see a broadband provider that configures a network so that
> individual nodes in the home network get global IPs.

When I switched to ADSL I'm pretty sure I was offered the choice of a
single public IP address on the outside of my router, or a /29 public
range for my home network (and presumably also a public address for the
external interface of my router). I chose the former and don't regret
having done so. I can do a mixture of static and dynamic NAT to allow
things from the outside into particular internal hosts if I want do.

This was in 2005, and I can very well believe this choice was not
available some time later.