IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 11 16:51:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:43:50 -0500, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at>
> wrote:
>> There is no one universal "global routing table". They probably appear in
>> someone's routing table, somewhere... just not yours.
>
> Using public address space for private networking is a gross misuse of the
> resource.

Ricky,

One example I heard was a generic financial exchange connected to
perhaps a hundred other companies. Those companies also connect to the
Internet but the exchange itself does not. It's valuable for the
exchange to use addressing which will not conflict with any of its
customers' RFC1918 use or overlap any Internet destinations they want
to access.

This is why ULA in IPv6 has statistical uniqueness -- so that
organizations with similar requirements don't need to use
Internet-routable addresses. We can't backport ULA into IPv4 private
addressing; there aren't enough addresses for the math to work. So we
either make such folks jump through all kinds of hoops to get their
networks to function, or we assign addresses that could otherwise be
used on the big-I Internet.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004