IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Feb 11 04:06:39 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 9:46 PM, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:43:50 -0500, Matthew Kaufman
> <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> There is no one universal "global routing table". They probably
>> appear in someone's routing table, somewhere... just not yours.
>
> Using public address space for private networking is a gross misuse of
> the resource.  Go to any registry and ask for address space for your
> private networking that you do not intend to announce to the
> internet.  They will laugh at you, and point you to RFC1918. (and
> likely flag you as someone to whom address space should never be
> assigned.)  The only reason legacy holders get away with such crap is
> because there's no clear contract governing their assignment.

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four35

Encourages use of RFC1918, but does not require it, especially when
private peering with other networks is involved.

>> How many days do you think a single /8 lasts at current assignment
>> rates?
>
> APNIC says the last 2 /8's they were assigned (triggering the dead-man
> clause) would last ~6mo.  With responsible use, 22 /8's would last
> several years. (3-5 best guess.  Of course, there could be a land-rush
> and all of it disappear next week -- see also: responsible use)

If all 22 /8's were free to use, yes, 3-5 years. However, it violates
existing RIR policies if those addresses are in use, even if not routed
publicly.

> First off, someone will have to do a lot more than 5 minutes of poking
> router-servers to see just how sparsely used ("announced") the space
> really is.  That includes digging through BGP histories to see if it's
> ever been announced.  Then research who should be in control of the
> space (announced or not.)  Then send out nasty sounding letters
> informing whomever that X address space has not been announced to the
> public internet in Y years; on Z date, the space will reenter the
> IANA/ICANN free pool for reassignment. (cue lawyers :-))  They'd also
> be highly motivated to return unused space if they were being billing
> for it.

All of this would have to be accomplished in less than 6-9 months, but
no one is going to wait in the hopes it might be accomplished, as
failure would mean ruin. So the networks will deploy counter measures
before the 6-9 month mark. They are already in the process.

> As for this "not fixing the problem", IPv4 is going to be a problem
> for MANY years to come.  IPv6 deployment is glacially slow.  IPv4
> being "out of space" is getting news attention now, but will fade from
> the spotlight shortly.  The people who have space will continue to
> have it and generally not notice the lack of availablity.  The likes
> of Facebook, etc., have jumped on IPv6 because they have a reason
> to... they have volumes of IPv6 connected eyeballs.  Yet the likes of
> Amazon and Akamai, aren't supporting IPv6 (and have no published plans
> to.)  Almost all of the major ISPs in the country still don't fully
> support IPv6 -- the few that do embrace v6 make it a pain in the ass
> to get it setup.  I don't support IPv6 (since elink killed their
> experiment); I can get everywhere I care to go, and everyone who cares
> to get to me does.  I, like many/most others, will fix that problem
> when it *is* a problem.

IPv4 will not be a problem for MANY years to come. If it survives 5
years in the DFZ, I'll be shocked.

Errr, wasn't it this list that Akamai said they were testing and working
on IPv6 deployments less than a week ago?

Also, just because I have space (currently a /19 free), only means I
have until that space runs out (assigning a /22 to a telco tomorrow
morning as they just hit 98% utilization tonight, technically 100%, but
I managed to free up a few). After that, IPv4 requires CGN or IPv6 with
NAT64/DNS64. Neither option is pretty.

Jack