"Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 11 02:44:46 UTC 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 8:15 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> I'm not certain that you could rely on any organizations statements made today
>> to provide any assurance that circumstances would not change in the future and
>> result in the address space being returned to ARIN or transferred per current
>> policy.
>
> An official statement from the DoD? I'm sure we could hold them to it as a community. Is it too much for us to ask the US government to give us assurance that we can safely utilize huge chunks of address space assigned to them for purposes such as LSN without fear? :)

In organizations of all sizes, positions and policies change,
with revised statements as a result. One thing that does not
change, however, is contractual commitments, and in this one
case I can state that there is a commitment to return IPv4
address blocks to ARIN for reuse by the community if they no
longer needed.

If you'd like to reserve a large block for purposes of LSN
without any concern of future address conflict, it would be
best to actually reserve it via community-developed policy.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO