IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 05:15:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:42:14 -0500, Nathan Eisenberg
<nathan at atlasnetworks.us> wrote:
> What do you mean, lit up?  You mean they're not in the routing tables
> that you get from your carriers?  I'd argue that's no indication of
> whether they're in use or not.

That's pretty much the definition of "in use".  If they don't appear in
the global routing table, then they aren't being used.  I cannot send
traffic to them; they cannot send traffic to me.

In my recent probe of route servers, I found 22 legacy /8's that were
partly or completely unused.  I'm a little surprised ARIN/ICANN thinks
it's a waste of time to even try to reclaim them.

--Ricky