IPv6 - a noobs prespective

Fred Richards fredr at geexology.org
Thu Feb 10 01:58:52 UTC 2011

I completely agree with Franck.  If you wanted to try a new acme
thingamawidget on your network, what would you do?  You'd probably
isolate it onto its own vlan, and assign a subnet.  Route that subnet,
and then prevent access in either your L3 device or firewall if you
didn't want it interfering with the rest of your network.  If you were
truly excited about the device, and wanted to try it out, you could
set this up in no time.  There would be nothing stopping you if you
were motivated.

 So why is ipv6 any different?  Personally, my plan is to create an
ipv6 vlan and assign virtual nics to virtual machines.  A machine is
dual stack if it has a v4 nic and v6 nic.  Use something like
reflexive acls as a simple firewall, blocking inbound access to
certain /64s.  I'm already doing this at home and at work.  They can
coexist, without being fully "dual stack".  You just have a ipv6
network layered on the same equipment you're using for the current
ipv4 network.

 What is the network besides a tool for logical grouping and managed
organization?  IPv6 is just another piece of the overall toolset.

 I don't think it's practical to jump into ipv6 completely replacing
ipv4, but rather they coexist for a while.  Those prepared to support
that scenario are going to be ahead of the curve.  Someday ipv4 will
seem like a joke, and our kids will laugh at us.

--
                      Fred