Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 10 00:00:45 UTC 2011

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1102091459200.15471 at murf.icantclick.org>, david rai
strick writes:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Jens Link wrote:
>
> > Scott Helms <khelms at ispalliance.net> writes:
> >
> >> IPv6 for some ISPs will be extraordinarily painful because of legacy
> >> layer 2 gear
> >
> > I don't feel sorry for them. We know that IPv6 is coming for how long?
> > 15years? 10year? 5years? Well if you only read the mainstream media you
>
> And at what point during that time did they have any vendor gear they
> could purchase that -would- support v6?   At -best- during the last 5
> years, but I'd put money on that even today they can't purchase gear with
> adequate v6 support.

And who's fault is that?  The ISP's and the vendors.  The ISP's
could have been requesting IPv6 support.  The ISP's could have been
running trials and providing feedback to the vendors.  The vendors
could have asked the ISP's to trail their IPv6 products.

We have been saying for years "make sure you are ready".  That means
buying and testing equipment.  Lots of those that tested went on to
production years ago.

As a vendor we like feedback on our products, good or bad.  It's
hard to work in a vacuum.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org