Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Feb 9 22:37:12 UTC 2011

On 2/9/2011 3:50 PM, Scott Helms wrote:
> The smaller telcos are almost universally doing NAT as well providers
> like Alltel, Centurytel, Frontier, Finepoint, as well as the smaller
> ILEC's simply don't do bridging on their CPE gear since they seldom had
> their DSLAMs set up to deal with Q-in-Q or isolation methods.  That's
> not to say I don't know some that are the exception since I do know of a
> few telcos that run PPPoE clients on the client PC and a handful that
> did get port isolation working but they are not the norm in the US.

Yeah, but CPE NAT with uPNP and other protocols is a far cry from LSN.
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that over 90% of my network is
bridged (even have some cpe's bridging 802.11 in, which really through
the vendors for a loop, but they did it). However, LSN doesn't have a
lot of the capabilities that CPEs have for dealing with NAT breakage.

Jack