Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Wed Feb 9 21:36:31 UTC 2011

On 2/9/2011 3:17 PM, George Bonser wrote:
>> Hmm, I am not aware of Comcast (or any other large MSO) doing any NAT
>> on
>> large scale.  Having said that almost all of the DSL customers in the
>> US
>> are being NAT'ed, but on the edge device (DSL modem) rather than in
> the
>> core.
>>
>> --
>> Scott Helms
>> Vice President of Technology
>> ISP Alliance, Inc. DBA ZCorum
>

> How many instances of 10/8 did they say they were running?  I was behind
> a NAT when I had Comcast service. I am behind a NAT currently with my
> AT&T service.
>
> Note that the NAT was done on the "cable modem" in both cases and not
> further in to their network.

10/8 is the management network on my cable modem. The cable modem
bridges your wan 'real' ip(s) through to your PC or router. At least
that's how Suddenlink does it here. The customer is normally 'locked
out' of the cable modem, unlike a dsl modem. The largest NATs are
presumably w/mobile carriers. I've never been behind NAT (except one I
controlled) on a consumer dsl or cable link in the US.
Ken

That said, from my reading of some

--
Ken Anderson