Is it permissible to advertise number resources allocated by one RIR to a ISP in a region governed by a different RIR? Practical?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 9 21:17:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Crooks, Sam wrote:

> Is it permissible, from a policy perspective, for a multi-homed end user
> to announce the numbering resource allocation received from one RIR (for
> discussion purposes, let's say ARIN) to upstream service providers in a
> different region (for example, in the RIPE region)?

Nope.  The RIR-police will shut you down.

Just kidding.  I'm in ARIN's region and have a customer in Africa for
whom we're announcing AFRINIC space.  It happens.  As long as you have
authorization from the registrant (I'd say owner, but the RIR-semantics
police would come for me) of the space, I wouldn't worry about utilizing
"out of region" numbering resources.

This sort of thing probably happens quite a bit more than you'd
guess...both legitmately and not.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |