Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Wed Feb 9 19:21:38 UTC 2011

IPv6 for some ISPs will be extraordinarily painful because of legacy
layer 2 gear (usually DSLAMs that drop any frame with IPv6 in the
EtherType field), inability to upgrade customer gear efficiently (again
mainly a DSL problem where TR-069 isn't in use), and the requirement to
replace PPPoE/oA termination gear (like Redback SMSs) means that a small
telco (say 3000 DSL lines) could be facing a multi-million dollar
expense to enable IPv6 for customers.

For ISPs in this circumstance the choice will be CGNAT rather than IPv6
for a number of years because the cost is much lower and according to
the vendors selling CGNAT solutions the impact to end users is (almost)
unnoticeable.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology